Sunday, April 19, 2009

Not shopping does not equal not spending money

Not sure why this seems like a new piece of information.

Random monetary updates:

  • Went to Crossroads Trading Co last week and Allie, thrilled beyond belief to be shopping at a "thrift store," got two tops for a whopping $12.  Score.
  • I signed up for New Leaf Ayurveda's weekly meals for $50.  Once a week I pick up AMAZING food that lasts me 4 days and I have to share with a friend in order not to waste any.
  • I really want some glass containers to transport/store this food in (rather than plastic).  A rare yard sale find.  Will have to keep looking.
  • Allie wanted to paint her room, so Ron went to Green Sacramento (what a good boy) and got her some Pale Sunshine.  It was a questionable purchase - not exactly a material thing, yet the can is waste to be dealt with.  I think he even snuck in a roller.  Minus one.
  • I ordered two Yamuna balls AND the book.  It categorizes itself as a business expense. Still, it seems blatant.  Minus three.
  • We got a new (old) bench and chair for the porch.  So cute!

I got this really strong hit yesterday that all of this stuff means nothing.  Not that all of life means nothing, but that the stuff - the couch pillows, the dining table, the super cute bench, even the precious photos - in the end will not have any meaning. 

Everything is on it's way to the trash (or recycler), it's just a matter of when.

Jen Hoffman teaches this in her brilliant Inspired Office classes.  It took a lot of pressure off of me about throwing something away.  It stresses me to think of sending something to the landfill... so, of course, not sending as much stuff there is the point of all this. 

At the same time, I have old stuff that I want to get rid of.  If I've used it in every way possible, and no one else in the whole world might ever want it (say, a pair of old undies that have been used for dusting, shoe shining and are ripped), it might need to go in the trash. Even if I don't do it, eventually, it will end up there.

The point is using something to the max, and then sending it on its way which might be a friend, craigslist, recycling or... the can.


You can't take it with you.

Uh, couldn't be more obvious.  However, to feel it like I did yesterday is different than hearing it your whole life.  I've been thinking about death a lot lately.  Mine and others'.  And it just sinks like a stone that as that moment comes, it won't matter if I have glass containers for my food or not.

What does matter?  What will matter in that moment? Isn't that what we're all trying to figure out.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home